Hong Kong Railway Museum
Situated in the town center of Tai Po Market, the Hong Kong Railway Museum is an open-air museum occupying some 6,500 square meters converted from the old Tai Po Market Railway Station. Erected in 1913, the station building features the pitched roof of traditional Chinese building. It was declared a monument in 1984, refurbished and opened as a museum in 1985.
Monday, Wednesday to Sunday & public holidays : 10am-6pm
Christmas Eve and Chinese New Year's Eve : 10am-5pm
Closed on Tuesdays (except public holidays) and the first two days of the Chinese New Year
Address: 13 Shung Tak Street, Tai Po Market, Tai Po, Hong Kong.
Transport: Please click here to search suitable transportation modes and routes to plan your visit.
To show proper consideration for the relics on display and to make sure our museum is a place where all visitors can enjoy in a pleasant atmosphere, please observe the following rules:
- please do not eat or drink, smoke, throw stones and pick flowers inside the museum.
- please do not bring animals and bicycles into the museum; guide dogs accompanying visually-impaired visitors are, however, allowed.
- please do not take wedding, graduation or portrait/cosplay photos inside exhibition gallery and historical coaches of the museum; please do not use tripods when taking photos in outdoor areas of the museum.
- please do not record videos inside the museum.
The station building includes the exhibition gallery, old ticket office and signal cabin. Through the display of artefacts, train models and historical photos, the development of railways in Hong Kong is introduced. A series of video and multimedia programmes allow visitors to explore the past and present of Hong Kong railways in a fun and educational way.
The outdoor area features a narrow gauge steam locomotive, a diesel electric engine, historical coaches, trolleys and semaphores for visitors to get in touch with railway relics.
Guided tour service has been suspended until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Guided museum tours are available for schools and community groups. For details, please refer to the Application Form for Guided Tour Services.
The Museum strives to provide a barrier-free access for all. Both groups and individual visitors with special needs can use the vehicle entrance at On Fu Road. Please contact our site staff at (852) 2653 3455 for assistance.
Currently, barrier-free facilities provided at Hong Kong Railway Museum are:
- Braille and tactile floor plan at the main entrance
- Tactile guide path at outdoor area
- Braille and tactile information on the handrails of the staircase
- Barrier-free ramp at the Museum Office and enquiries counter suitable for wheelchair users
- Accessible toilet
Access Officer: For further enquiries, please contact our Access Officer and Assistant Curator I, Mr Sunny CHAN at 2180 8160 during the office hours (Mon to Fri: 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 6pm).
|(852) 2653 3455|
|(852) 2638 0897|
| || |